Monday 1 August 2011

Chicken Curry Nasi Lemak - Penang Village KLCC

The lunch crowd at KLCC today was absolutely sweet. Ramadhan bliss! Anyway to cut the story short, I headed up to Penang Village in KLCC and ordered the easiest dish for lunch. A Malaysian's favorite which is nasi lemak or coconut milk rice. This dish is the best to order for lunch if you are short of time. Everything is pre-prepared, nothing needs to be cooked and you do not even have to reheat it.
Damn food came after 15 minutes. I asked what took so long? Did you go buy it from the stall downstairs? (Considering there wasn't a crowd in there.)
Does that look like chicken curry to you? Nope..I didn't think so.

Looked pretty good at first sight. Nice cuts of cucumber and lots of nuts and fried anchovies. Just a little tiny tad of sambal belacan, half a hard boiled egg and the chicken curry. But, as usual, something was amiss. There was no aroma. The rice just did not have the nasi lemak aroma, the coconut milk was missing in the air. I went really close and had a sniff. Nothing. Not a good sign.
It's ok I said to myself, maybe the chicken's good. It did not look anything like chicken curry. It was more like a wet chicken rendang. I was hungry so I began to chow down. Chicken tasted bland. Not enough spices in it. It was not spicy and it did not have the flavors of a proper chicken curry. Conclusion - This sucked! No taste, not tantalizing, not exciting, not yummy! The only bonus is the small speck of sambal belacan which was pretty good.

Points - 0

Do not try this unless it's free.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I prefer Chawan's Nasi Lemak :-)

Penny said...

I find most of the local food in KLCC is pretty lam. Yet it is always crowded, so what incentive do they have to improve...?

darthko said...

You are absolutely right. But it's absolutely unacceptable to have restaurant owners totally insulting their products. It's food they're selling. Don't they ever taste their food. Thing is Malaysian's are just so easy on their food. Anything goes and then they claim they live to eat...humbug!!

Penny said...

I think many customers in KLCC are tourists, both local and foreign. I guess the foreigners don't know any better, and the local tourists don't know where else to go, or don't have time to leave the building for lunch. So the outlets there get away with serving up crap at massively inflated prices. And we have no choice but to shell out for it, or go hungry. Pretty crap, but standard practice at tourist traps worldwide. Some of the worst French food I have ever eaten was at the foot of the Eiffel Tower, and literally the worst pizza ever was at Piazza San Marco in Venice. Tourist traps = easy money for bad restaurants.

darthko said...

It's pretty sad to see this at tourist spots and us knowing that the restaurants are just dishing nonsense out to the unknowing tourists. Makes my case even stronger to write more about different places and call a spade a spade. Don't you reckon?

Penny said...

Totally! I'm just loving your bitching blog. :-)

Anonymous said...

Love reading your blogs! Funny.. :)

Just want to tell you about some typo errors in your blog. Chicken tasted blend (should be bland). And the caption on your title.. no holds bar opinion. Think it should no holds barred opinion.

Keep up the good work on your blog! Can't wait to read more..

Anonymous said...

Oops.. didn't notice I said blogs. Should be blog.

Anonymous said...

Alamak.. my mistake again. Think it should BE no holds barred opinion.

Geez, the effect of taking an extremely drowsy medicine for running nose affects my ability to write!

darthko said...

Thank you for the comments. I knew I made some spelling mistakes here and there. Not written anything since school..please bear with my mistakes. Will try to spell check too. hehehe

Dreams of cakes said...

What a delicious dish! Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

There's no Penang Village in KLCC I think you meant Little Penang....
You should try Penang Village in Great Eastern mall I believe their food is much better.