Monday 8 August 2011

Japanese Soba & Sushi, Ichiban Boshi, Pavilion Kuala Lumpur

I was rushing for the 2.40pm movie and had only 22 minutes to eat. (Yes, I finally got to watch Transformers.) Wanted sushi or was I craving for something with no oil. Anyway popped into the Ichiban Boshi and basically had to request for a table with access to the conveyor belt. I don't get it. Why do you have the sushi conveyor belt and not put your customers beside it? Anyway I was in a hurry. Jumped onto the next available table and I just grabbed a few plates off the conveyor belt. In the meantime, also ordered their house specialty Zaru Soba (Buckwheat Soba Noodles) and a serving of gyoza.


Where is the quail egg?


I remember the first time I had this here, it was not good. This time round, it was pretty damn good. Mainly because I was damn hungry and cold soba noodles are perfect in this hot weather. It was served cold although it would have been better if served on ice. Ichiban Boshi makes their own soba and their buckwheat soba today was fresh and "re-freshing". The soba dip was a little salty for my liking but the texture of the soba was perfect. It was tender on the outside but really "crunchy" inside. Put a little wasabi on the edge of the soba dip bowl, then slurp the soba out. As the soba goes into your mouth, it will have a little wasabi in them. One complaint that I found was that, the quail egg was missing. 


Points - 2

Does not really look that appetizing right?


Chicken floss sushi! Look closely. The rice isn't packed in tightly enough. They just don't train them to roll sushi right. Once you dip them into the soy sauce, they'll just fall apart. 

Cheese with ham? Damn it tasted like the buns you get at the Bread Shop.

I had a few plates of sushi, think I had 6 plates of all varieties. (told you I was hungry) All in all I was not too impressed with their sushi. I guess I am a little particular but when I see Banglas making sushi, it just doesn't do it for me. The rice is not packed in nicely, most of the time, the salmon pieces seem to scream let me go as they slowly slide off the rice. They also tried to be adventurous here with fusion varieties like one that had cheese and ham. I'm all in for fusion but some varieties just do not work.


Points - 0.5

The photo makes it look good but it taste horrible!

The last order that came was their gyoza. Damn!!! It was so bad! The gyoza skin was thick and rubbery! They pan fried it and the edges were a little burnt but the skin, it just tasted like the frozen ones you buy from Cold Storage. The sauce they had on it was some thick soy sauce that got thicker and yucky as they served the gyoza on a hot plate. Talk about being dumb. None of the normal gyoza vinegar to be seen. Worst part is the stuffing. Chicken stuffing is a NO NO for gyoza. It just was BAD!


Points - 0


I reckon I would only go to this place for their soba and I hope they maintain their standards for this. If not, there is no other reason to return.

2 comments:

Penny said...

Haha - I have to say it's your own fault for choosing cheese and ham sushi! What did you expect....? ;-P

darthko said...

LOL! Served me right! I thought I be a little adventurous for once!