Sunday 31 July 2011

Nippy Noodle House 竹升面 - Kuchai Road, Kuala Lumpur

Friend called up and asked if I wanted to do lunch at this pretty nice noodle house in Kuchai. Hmm..noodles, I love noodles. Packed up and got there in 10 minutes but had to drive around for another 40 minutes just to get a park. Parking is a bummer in this place. No wonder business is not too fantastic.


Anyway, this place makes their own noodles using the traditional way of using a long bamboo to press the dough. This method makes the noodles more "crunchy" and as the chinese say "springy" Supposedly this is the best method and my grandfather used to do it this way before the invent of noodle making machines. Well, it is good to see this method again in KL.
I ordered the abalone noodles (dry) RM 9.50 and the "Mui Choy" Pork noodles RM 6 (dry. don't know what that is called in English)
Check this out. Super duper small serving. The noodles isn't even enough for a 4 year old. 



Note - The serving is extremely small. My nieces can eat 3 bowls of it. Bloody hell. Lucky for them is that mine was abalone noodles so for 9 bucks I am not going to bitch about it too much. The noodles were indeed pretty springy 牙 but as with most places, they are just too DAMN thin! What is wrong with the noodle people now? Are Malaysians' mouths that small or they have no teeth to bite? Anyway for the dry noodles, I was slightly disappointed. The noodles were made ok but it's the cooking. As I mentioned in my earlier post, the combination of the various sauces must be right. This one just had everything in it but no taste thus nothing interesting to tickle your taste buds.


Points - 1 (this is crap for a noodle house)


Then it was the Mui Choy 梅菜Pork Noodles. The cook must have bought the wrong 梅菜 as it was terrible. The pork pieces in there was worse. You can hardly find it in there, blink and you'll miss it. My suggestion to them is to take this off their menu. Do not serve or sell something which you suck at!


Points - 0


As you can see the servings were too small so I had to order one last bowl in order not to punish my tummy. As grand dad used to say, if you want to know if a noodles house especially a wanton noodle house is good, you have to try the soup based noodles. Ordered their wanton soup noodles. 




Surprised to see a bigger bowl now and for RM5.50, I was happy again. Had about 4-5 wantons in it. Tasted the soup and damn! No good. No taste, not enough of anything. Very light soup that had no kick at all. I was wondering if the cook ever tasted his own soup. Wanton was not bad. Pretty fresh I must say and five pieces of it, that's not bad.


Points - 1 - 0.5 was given as bonus for the 5 wantons in it. 

No comments: