Tuesday 16 August 2011

House of Ceggo, Pan Mee 板麵, Taman Danau Desa, Kuala Lumpur

When you see the name, House of Ceggo, you will never think that this place is known for its Pan Mee. Ceggo just sounds like another brand of spaghetti. Anyway, I have been hearing good things about this place from friends and it's high time, I visited the place.
Looks just like a normal shop. Nothing fancy, bright and clean. This place has its variety of the ever loved Pan Mee 板麵 by Malaysians, namely the usual 板麵, tomato 板麵, pumpkin 板麵, Sze Chuan Hot and Spicy 板麵. (reason why I have stuck to using chinese for this is that it just does not sound right using English - Pan Mee??)
I had to try the tomato 板麵 since I've never seen this anywhere before. Mum decided to go for the vegetarian 板麵 and my old man the usual normal one. Ordered a serving of their fried wanton. 
Tomato 板麵 - looks like minestrone right? 

Forget about ordering this, three pieces of crappy wanton = Strike 1, Strike 2, Strike 3 and YOU'RE OUT!


The servings pretty big and for RM 7 bucks, they're not bad, plus you're eating in an air conditioned place. Anyway, the tomato soup 板麵 was pretty nice. The soup tasted a little like minestrone soup. (Kinda reminded me of this Jamie Oliver recipe I tried years back. Summer minestrone soup.) It was not too thick but just nice. The tomato flavors were not overwhelming and it just tasted right on a rainy Saturday night. I noticed that there was no meat in this. Just a few pork bits which you would miss if you're not looking. It just had heaps of vegetables in this. Nothing else? 
Their 板麵 is actually pretty good. Good amounts of it to fill you up and it was very tender and fresh. They served the 板麵 in three styles - thick fat ones (which I ordered), slim and thin & hand torn ones.
They served their deep fried anchovies separate which I liked as if you throw them all into this hot soup, the anchovies will get too soft. Point to note is their chilli. Very spicy but good. It had a good balance of belacan and chilli making it smell delicious but deadly.
I checked out my old man's 板麵 and confirmed that his had a lot of vegetables too and no meat again. Damn! This is a vegan's paradise. My old man claimed that this is the traditional old fashion type of 板麵 which had just vegetables. Hmm!! I don't know about that but supposedly the Hakka's were not rich folks and meat was a luxury.
Next was the wanton. One word CRAP! Never order this. Firstly, it took them 15 minutes to arrive and when it did, it looked lousy. The stuffings in it were so weird, I could not make out what it was.


Final note - Pretty good soup and the 板麵 was done right. Only thing was there were no meat in them. As I said it's a vegan's paradise. I just had my one week's dosage of vegetables here.


Points - 板麵 1.5 (Please add some more flavored pork bits!)


Points Wanton - STRIKE OUT

No comments: