Monday 8 August 2011

Mochi Sweets, Tokyo Street, Pavilion Kuala Lumpur

Desserts. Yummy! I love sweet stuff. My girlfriend says that if I continue with my sugar intake and if I get diabetes, she will dump me across the border in Thailand without my passport and leave me there.
Anyway, stumbled across the newly opened Tokyo Street in Pavilion. I must say that it is something new and fresh. Plenty of shops here, all Japanese except for one or two shops. Good thing is that they have a lot of restaurants here and I will be sure to pop by soon.
First stop was the Mochi stall. It's called Mochi Sweets and it looks posh. Good decor and the service was friendly.
I decided to try their special 6 pack box which I overheard is of limited stock. Only a couple of boxes left. Paid RM 20.25 and off I went. I was also told to wait 20 minutes for the mochi to thaw first as they are frozen. Best eaten 20 minutes later as the skin gets soft.



Always have to give it to the Japanese. They are masters when it comes to decor. Everything just looks so neat and inviting.


For RM 20.25, the packaging was very nice. Typical Japanese packaging that makes it a good gift.





The six pack i bought had 6 of their best sellers. Macha (green tea), red bean, blueberry cream, chestnut cream, chocolate and mango yoghurt. I checked my watch and 20 minutes is up. The box also included a plastic fork. (Japanese thoughtfulness) I tried the green tea flavored one first. Always try the original flavors first. 
Wonderful. The mochi was cool, the skin was soft, tender and chewy. The green tea was just nice. None of the overwhelming artificial green tea taste. It was not as sweet but I guess I can do with the lower sugar levels. The only thing I disliked about it is that I found the skin slightly on the thick side. Next was the red bean mochi. Damn! This is good. Nicely made japanese red bean. Not all mashed up into pulp but with little soft bits of red bean in it. It was almost perfect with the soft mochi skin. Eaten cold and with my iced coffee, it was heaven.


The mochi is not exactly cheap but once in a while you have to spoil yourself. I will return but maybe just stick with the green tea or the read bean, or maybe both.


Must try.


Points - 2.5 (0.5 was taken off due to the thickness of the skin)

No comments: