Sunday 31 July 2011

John King Hong Kong Egg Tarts 蛋撻 - Low Yat Plaza, Kuala Lumpur

Well after my quick ramen fix, got myself a pair of this John King's egg tarts (撻). Looked pretty ok for RM1.60 a piece, it ain't cheap either but then what is cheap in Malaysia these days. It looked nice when it was still in the glass counter but when I opened it up to eat, I was not too impressed. The tart's crust is not anything like the ones you get in Hong Kong. It was a bit too thin and not as fluffy. It was packed up pretty tight but one bite, it was just ok. The thing is egg tarts must be a little warm in order for the pastry to melt in your mouth. The egg was not good. It just did not have the 撻 taste. Too mild and you just cannot taste egg. The pastry was made with peanut oil which immediately proved that I was right. You do not make good egg tarts with peanut oil. You need lard 豬油 to do this. It brings out the fragrance of the tart and makes the pastry soft on the inside and crispy on the outside. Nothing else can replace this.


I just hate it when they use aluminium to put tarts into. Don't this people realize that it does leave a slight metal taste to their food?

The so-called John King - Famous Hong Kong Egg Tarts - Thumbs down. Our local Thong Kee egg tarts are way better.

Points - 0.5 seriously I won't bother too much about this place. Boo!

No comments: