Thursday 21 July 2011

Room Eighteen - Mid Valley Megamall

Lunch time in Mid Valley is always madness. If you work there, you should eat at 12 noon and try to avoid the 1pm crowd. I have never really had much to say about the Tai Thong Group ever since their main restaurant in Jalan Imbi closed down. These days the group has moved on to do more Hong Kong style restaurants and also some western fusion restaurants which have failed miserably.
I was pretty lazy today and chose the nearest restaurant. Room Eighteen is one of Tai Thong's projects and has been revamped twice if I remember correctly.(used to be called Chopstick Noodle House) I have been to this place a few times and each time I have left the place fuming as the service is really hopeless.
Went through the menu and the usual stuff is still there. Very Hongkee inclined menu with dim sum extras in it. (Will talk about their dim sum selection next time) They stopped their lunch set menu but are not promoting a couple of their new dishes. Hot pot this and hot pot that. Nothing that really fancies me.
As usual I ordered their Double Combination rice, which you can choose two type of their roasted meat. (duck, chicken, roasted pork, char siew) I chose the roasted duck and pork. My lunch partner ordered the new menu selection of Hot Pot Spicy Fried Rice. (Bei Foong Tong, I will try to type chinese next time)


Color combination of the fried rice was pretty good. It did taste pretty good. Fried rice has to be done in a way that the rice does not stick together and it cannot be too oily. (Mum always says,"Use overnight cooked rice!) I must admit that this was not too bad. The only thing is that it does not live up to its name - Hot Pot Spicy Fried Rice. It didn't come sizzling hot although it was served in this Korean looking Bee Beem Bap bowl. As it is called "Bei Foong Tong", it has to be spicy. This was not at all the spicy fried rice I had in mind. There was not much ingredients in it other than a lot of vegetables that made it look colorful. No chicken, no pork..you mean NO MEAT? Some slices of egg..and that was about it. For 12 bucks, I better go the mamak for their fried rice. There at least I cannot complain as you would not expect anything.

Points - 1


Next came my double combination roasted meat rice. As you can see above, the servings pretty small. Just a few slices of each meat. The steamed white rice was cold (maybe due to their overzealous air conditioning), actually the whole dish was cold. They even "stinged" on the cucumbers. Cooking 101 - Don't ever cut your cucumbers this way. They don't look good and it makes you look bad. 
The roast duck was ok. Not much taste to it though as I reckon they expect you to dip it in their plum sauce and maybe a little chilli oil. (The plum sauce was terrible. Not much taste to it and you would expect this sauce to be thick and sweet) I have nothing much to say about the roasted pork as it just tasted like any ordinary roast pork you get at the coffee shops. For RM12.90, this is pricey and not satisfying.

Points - 1

Finally, I was impressed today with the service which was rather quick and efficient. The food came out in about 10 minutes and the bill came in a jiffy. I recommend this place if you have no other place in mind for lunch. The food is just OK, nothing to shout about. The air condition in there is freezing and the service can be atrocious.

No comments: