Sunday 11 March 2012

Pork Place, IOI Boulevard, Puchong

I chanced upon this place called Pork Place in Puchong recently. (getting stuck on the highway gets you looking at things more I guess. LOL) Located on a discreet side of IOI Boulevard is this cosy little restaurant. Named after the only produce they have. You guessed right. PORK!
I actually quite like the decor of the place. Good ambience, cleanly decorated without overdoing it like some places you go to. Decorated with some pretty cute pictures of pigs makes this place not too serious though this interior decoration is also seen in other "pig" specialty restaurants in town. They also have this part of the restaurant that is a dedicated butcher selling, yes, yes, pork. I guess they pride themselves with the pigs they sell especially with the various certifications stuck on the glass windows.


Anyway, let's get down to the food. Menu is not extensive which sometimes is a good thing. (I do not enjoy restaurants with a 20 page menu as most of the times, the food's all terrible. Nothing stands out) I believe that a good restaurant does not need to sell too many things but sell things that you're good at.

My order of the day is their house special which is the Pork Knuckle (RM 40 for a half portion) and the Sausage platter (RM26) plus two tiger beers (RM 13 per bottle).  I must say that the waiter was pretty helpful and polite. (Bonus point)

Wait time was 10-15 minutes and both dishes came out. Small portions for that price. Good thing I was not really hungry.

First dish, the pork knuckles. Presentation wise - the usual with most places that serve this dish. Only thing is that the meat was cut into bite size portions. (Maybe it was due to it being a half portion). Nice fresh salad on the side with mashed potato and gravy.
First taste. The pork skin was crispy but did not have much taste to it. It did have a burnt taste to it. Not too good. The meat initially tasted pretty good. Nice flavour, not too salty but as you take a few more bites, the disappointment creeps in. Somehow the meat had this very strong "pig" taste. It was just a little too overwhelming. The chef must have skipped a step or two preparing this as I am very very particular with this. Pork being pigs must be done the right way in order to eliminate or minimize their natural smell. If this isn't done correctly, it spoils the dish. Sigh!




Points = 0.5

Second dish, the sausage platter. Two pieces of fat sausages. One Bratwurst and the other one I cannot remember. Again, some salad and mashed potato.
I must say that the sausages are nothing to shout about. I can get these stuff at a local deli. Cheaper and maybe tastier. At least if it's cheap, I cannot really complain, right?




Points = 0.5

I left this place a tad disappointed. I liked the ambience, the attentive service but the food was not impressive at all. Did not bother with dessert in order not to dig a deeper hole for them.

Overall = 0.5 out of 5 including the bonus for the service.

WIR (will I return) = Maybe if they improve on their cooking skill but at this moment I won't. Oh, before I forget, I will return to try if I don't have to pay!

No comments: